Top 5 Ways to Secure Your Computer from Hackers’ Attack
One group of technology developers is continuously working to improve internet security, while other one is working at same pace to break this security. The later discussed group is most commonly known as hackers and due to their presence your computer is at risk for the time you’re connected to the internet. You probably be thinking that staying offline is the best way to secure your computer from hackers’ attack. Well, this is simply not possible, because from email to online shopping, everything has become essential part of our lives and without all these we cannot move forward.
Depending on your internet usage and your knowledge about hacking attacks there can be various ways with which you can protect your PC from being attacked by hackers. But, for a common user, who doesn’t know much, below are few best practices suggested by internet security experts:
- Up to Date Operating System: Whether it’s Windows, Mac or any other OS, there’re always some loopholes including security issues, which are fixed by developers on continuous basis. This is what requires you to update your operating system. In case you do not have latest updates installed, your system’s chances of becoming victim of hackers’ attack increase considerably.
- Stay Behind a Firewall: All major operating systems come with a built-in firewall, which is a program designed to stop unwanted traffic on your computer. At times, this firewall is found turned off, which means there can be any type of intrusions on your PC. In order to surf safely on internet, make sure that your firewall is turned on.
- Use a Good Anti Virus Software: Antivirus software now come with much more intelligent features that enable them to detect any threats when computer is connected to the internet and you can stop a possible attack right there. Although antivirus software is a great utility to stay safe on internet, choice of right software matter a lot. Do check user reviews for an antivirus before buying it. Whilst antivirus software may seem expensive at first – you must ask yourself is your PC/Laptop worth it?
- Keep an Eye on Incoming Mails: Hacking attacks via email have become very common now, whereby you may receive a mail with very attractive offer and urging you to click on a link which automatically starts a virus download that steals data from your system and sends it to the hacker. This is one simple example of a hacking attack via email; there can be various other ways to trap you right from your inbox. The best way to encounter such situations is to stay away from unknown and strange mails.
- Download from Trusted Websites Only: There’re too many websites offering free songs, movies and software downloading. This may sound very attractive to have such goodies available for free, but you must know that most of these sources include viruses, spyware and malware that are automatically downloaded when you download a song or movie. To avoid getting all these in your system and securing your system, you must download from trusted sources only.
- Keep your PC upto speed: Having a slow PC is annoying in itself, it can occur due to a number of reasons, the main reasons are that you have a virus (download a paid antivirus software if you do, as many free ones don’t fully delete most viruses), you have to many files on your laptop/desktop – or you have some registry issues on your PC. There are many programs which offer to ‘speed up your PC’, however, I have found that many of them actually contain viruses themselves – which is obviously not what you want. I recently found PC Speed Doctor (http://bit.ly/lckm0e) of which I can personally guarantee it doesn’t contain any viruses – and actually works.